Wednesday 27 July 2011

Field Visit - 1

After some insisting on my part to my boss that my internship for the summer is suppose to include field visits and not just sitting in front of a computer in an office for 8-9 hours a day, we headed to the Jodphur District in Rajasthan to conduct some fieldwork. The goal of the visit was to interview and have group discussions with people in villages about child and reproductive health. Although, I don't think that they way we conducted the research was very effective I got to meet and see how people live in the Thar Desert of India.  

 The women above is the local midwife in a small village. She is the only one who helps women deliver babies in this region and she has never had any formal training. She tells us of the common health problems women face here.

 The two girls that I am standing beside are 13 and 14 years old. They are already married and will soon go to live with their husbands.

I think that this women might have the saddest story I have ever heard. She was pregant 8 times and only two children survived. Her son (15), has polio which is a common disease found in the area since many of the children are not vaccinated. Her daughter who was slightly older, was married at an early age and after being pregnant 5 times died in  her first attempt at child birth. The family does not believe in medical centers and is convinced that the family is cursed. 


 Village meeting to discuss the health needs and water scarcity issues. 


A woman who was very thankful that we came to listen to complaints and issues of the village

 The kids here are adorable, fascinated by my white skin, curly hair and little Hindi I try to speak. I attempt to engage in the staring contest but I always end up losing. 

 Very interested faces...


No comments:

Post a Comment