Sunday 8 September 2013

Ubud - Attack of the Monkeys

After a morning in Sanur we decided to make our way to Ubud where we planned to stay the next 4 or 5 days. It was easy enough to get there and settle into the hotel so we went to check out the monkey forest. 

Warning these pictures of monkeys are going to make them seem cute and harmless but they are actually kind of bullies who will attack if then sense food or weakness. 

Reclining Monkey

Licking the wet moss


So right after I took this picture this monkey decided that he wanted to see what I had in my purse. He swiftly hopped onto my leg crawled up my hip and opened the zipper at the top. My passport and memory cards (the only thing I have of value) were in a plastic bag so of course he grabs it and when I try to move he bears his fangs. Luckily he didn't think that it was very interesting a dropped in on the pavement a few minutes later. The guides told me I should have some bananas so that I can trade him back from my passport. Somehow carrying around bananas so I can trade a monkey for my valuables seems like a messed up idea.

About 15 minutes later I swear the same monkey came up to an America women and opened her backpack and took out her bug spray and dismantled it with his teeth and hands.  He kept spraying himself in the mouth and making a funny face but he still wanted in the bottle. I think the moral of the story is even if they say you bag is safe done bring one, even if you don't have food because bug spray and passports are still interesting.

Like mother like daughter

Okay this one is really cute

No comments:

Post a Comment